Pages

Shabby blogs background

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Experimenting, challenging myself and having fun!

After Friday's depressing post about my lack of mojo-ness, I decided to do something about it. I went crafty blog surfing and came across one of my favourites - Apron Strings. They are a Kit Club and are having a Birthday Party to celebrate 6 years in the biz. Way to go Apron Strings!! I don't go in for the kit thing. I have WAY too much "stash" to justify adding a new kit-load every month. Maybe one day but not until I seriously whittle down!! But if you're looking for a great monthly kit club you should definitely check them out.
Anyway, the Birthday Party is going to last all March long and be full of challenges and goodies. So I decided to play along. I've tried to play along several times since I found the Apron Strings blog but one thing or another has held me back. Not last night! There was nothing good on TV and the movie Greg had taped was not up my alley so I got creative!

The first post I came across was for Birthday Party Day #4 but as soon as I saw it was the second half of a challenge handed out the day before I quickly scrolled down so as not to ruin the surprise. In their Prep post you got to pick your cake ingredients and then bake with them once you knew what they were. I picked vanilla cake (white or kraft cardstock), strawberry filling (patterned paper with dots or circles), buttercream icing (buttons) with fresh fruit topping (paint). The paint really threw me! I've been wanting to get messy for awhile but ... well, I guess I was a little afraid of it, to be honest. But I dragged out my old guache from Interior Design school days and got messy.

Want to see it?


And here are some close ups.




I had so much fun with the paint and the colour scheme that I decided to use it again to tackle another of the Birthday Party challenges. This one was from Day #3 and the challenge was to make our journalling more than an afterthought. I painted a giant number 7 on my kraft cardstock and used that as my journalling block to write some thoughts down about Marley. See for yourself.


I splattered some paint around the 7 and the edges and then made the butterflies for a simple embellishment.


I tell you, I think I have found a new love! Look for more painting on my layouts in the future!!


4 comments:

  1. I've never used paint, so I'm totally impressed. Also love your take on the journaling challenge. It's Sunday afternoon and I'm just starting, but I hope to dive into a few of the challenges before the night is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so totally weird, but I just brought out my white paint to do some edges on my Feb. Project 12 layout, and then used it again on a card I made this morning! Coincidence? I think not! Like I've said before, great minds think alike! Anyway, LOVE both layouts, especially that supercool "7" - I've never seen anything like it!!! Glad you got some crafty time in this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! The paint is great on your Family layout- rough and rockin'! And I love what you did with the 7- the journalling definitely isn't an afterthought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, it was meant to be. Bad TV, Bad Man-movie, good girlie time with scrapbook supplies. Awesome work. I love the journaling take and the paint on the first layout - something I think about but all I ever manage to paint is chipboard. Thanks so much for playing along at Apron Strings, I hope you'll do so more during the month! We'll talk about getting you signed up for kits later ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete