Pages

Shabby blogs background

Monday, September 3, 2012

What a Difference 10 Years Makes

Happy Monday morning everyone! If you're in Canada (like me) you are likely enjoying the last day of summer holidays before the kids go back to school. It's Labour Day today and I for one am going to a bar-be-que later! How about you? Any special plans?

Today I've got something extra special to share with you. This is my first layout as a new Design Team Member on the Let's Get Sketchy Design Team! If you are coming here from the LGS site then welcome! I love to hear your feedback so please feel free to leave me a comment. If you are a regular visitor then I do encourage you to pop over to the LGS blog to see all the other beautiful layouts my fellow Design Team Members have submitted. They are truly a talented bunch and I am honoured to be included!!

Here is the sketch for Week 1 in September:


And here is what I came up with.


Greg and I recently celebrated our 10th Wedding Anniversary and I had a layout like this in mind so when I saw the sketch it all came together pretty quickly. The hardest part was finding a picture of us from our wedding! I ended up taking a picture of this photograph from our wedding album - turned out great! Will definitely remember that trick for future!
I flipped the picture orientation around from the sketch but the rest of it is pretty well as Laurie laid it out.

I debated adding any journalling at all because I find that using a longer title can sometimes explain a lot of what is going on in the pictures. But in the end I found there was more I wanted to say so I added a little Elle's Studio tag behind the main block. It's sort of hidden because while the sentiments are addressed to my husband, they are not completely private. Plus I liked the way the circular journalling spot echoed the other circular piece (a doily image cut out of a piece of the new My Minds Eye - The Sweetest Thing line).

Here's a closer look at the tag.
See, not too private!

I liked the horizontal elements on Laurie's sketch and thought a strip of washi tape would work perfectly here. When I looked in my stash I found this 'WITH LOVE' one in an appropriately complimentary colour. Don't you just love it when that happens?  

A quick word on these flowers. There were originally bright yellow and a pale pink. Really! Neither colour worked but I liked the shapes so I used my Mister Huey mists to change them. I used Heirloom Blue and Plum Thumb (and also splattered some Plum Thumb on other areas of my layout). Now they work perfectly!!

Another look at the flowers.

Thanks for stopping by today. I'd love to see what you do with the week's sketch. There are 4 sketches a month at Let's Get Sketchy plus weekly favs and a monthly prize (please go here to read all the details about how to enter) so I hope you'll join us.

Have a great week!




6 comments:

  1. Love this! I might have to lift the idea as we just celebrated our 10th too. Beautiful layout and a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. I love the title and how you did the photo from your wedding. Great touch! Welcome to the team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love your LO, Allison! Sweet and precious occasion to capture on a page!

    Kath
    Blog: Creo by Lady Katutz
    http://creobyladykatutz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, this is gorgeous!!! I love the journaling card kind of half hidden, and how you altered up your flowers - very cool ideas! Hope I can join in on this sketch, it's pretty fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely tribute to your 10th anniversary. the colours are so pretty and i love all of the little elements that you added like the punched edges and the pearly button centers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww... this is such a lovely LO!
    Congratulations on reaching 10 yrs!

    Toni..
    http://toniherron.aussieblogs.com.au/

    ReplyDelete