Pages

Shabby blogs background

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Update - 4 Simple Goals

Er ... I sort of forgot about my public declaration to improve my everyday life! Oops!
Life with 3 little kids can suck the brain cells out your ears and fling them to the four corners of the globe!
My apologies for not updating my progress (or lack there of as the case may be) but I will attempt to do so now.

Goal #1 - Eat more fruits and vegetables: Hmmm ... I did really well on that one in September when the farmer's markets were brimming with fresh produce from local growers. Now that winter is approaching fast and floods have destroyed the local potato, turnip/root vegetables and bean crops, it's been more of a challenge. From today I will strive to remember this goal everyday!!

Goal #2 - Move more: This has kind of happened, kind of not.
I did get fitted for a brace ($1400! Ouch!) which is helping my knee pain but after several attempts to return to running I have had to acknowledge that more base building needs to be done before I can run without pain. By base building I mean get my core back (3 kids have totally destroyed whatever core I may have had at one time) and work on basic muscle strength. I feel I'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation. I need to do exercises like squats and lunges to strengthen my large leg muscles to support my knee, but the actual DOING of these exercises puts stress on my knee and increases my pain. I've been wearing my knee brace more than the fabricators thought I should but I was finding that all the walking to school and back, the parent and tot gymnastics and the duty days at Paige's preschool were really taking their toll. At it's worst (about a month ago) even going grocery shopping without my brace sent my knee into realms of discomfort best avoided!!
I would say that I have accomplished the goal of moving more but it still needs to stay in place. Now my movements need to start being more vigorous!

Goal #3 - Limit my Facebook time: Hmmm ... yeah, this one hasn't happened so much. I try but then get sucked into one of those addictive games (Farmville, Cafe world or Fairyland are my drugs of choice) and before I know it, hours have passed. Okay, I'll try again. Really!
I would like to try to update this blog more frequently though. Finding the balance between "productive" internet time and "wasteful" internet time is my new challenge I think!

Goal #4 - Find a job: This one hasn't happened either. In fact I am not even sure if it's something I want to do right now. Finances aside, my heart is telling me that being at home for my girls is the right place for me to be right now. Throwing a job and all the added complications of child care arrangements into the already crazy schedule of school drop offs/pick ups, extra curricular activities and those never ending chores, seems WAY harder than my life needs to be right now. This is a topic that I could go on and on about but won't.
I'm going to officially declare this goal as dead.
Instead I will replace it with Find out What I Want. I've talked about this before and it's something my therapist and I are working on. It seems to change daily though!!

Okay, I must hop into the shower as Greg wants to go to IKEA and perhaps fight with Home Depot some more about a door we ordered 2 months ago ... don't get me started! Thanks for listening!!

Hmm ...  change of plans - LC went down for a nap. :)
Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment